Saturday 30 May 2015

Best day, worst day

So, I walked into Astorga yesterday. It's a beautiful city but I decided that I would take a bus through the area of concern for women walking alone and I didn't have a walking partner.  The decision turned out to be a good one. I really didn't want to be in the city anyhow so I lucked into a bus 20kms to Rabinal del Camino at 1:30 and found a good Albergue there and ran into some people I haven't seen since Viana.
crux de ferro

fresh orange juice on the side of the trail

the hills were purple because of the heather blooms

and lots and lots of wild lavender.

So, on to todays walk and adventure.  I  was very happy to have coffee and tostada to start the day before walking.  The hike up to the Crux de Ferro was wonderful. I am so happy to be back in the mountains. The views are vast.  I got to the Crux de Ferro before 9 and put the note and special memento from Gwen on the cross. I left my stone and took some pictures.  Then off to the summit. It was still pretty great and I was really happy about my decision to bus forward 20 kms and get back into the mountains.  Then the descent started.  OMG. It was rocky and steep and really tough. It seemed to go on forever and ever. I walked into a nice village around 11 and had a break and a bocadillo. I saved half of the bocadillo for lunch later. I was walking with Martin from Germany and he also had a bocadillo and took half for later. When I got to this room, I found out that I had his sandwich so I ate it anyhow.  He went to the pilgrims Albergue so I don't know if I will see him again anyway.  So, after the first difficult descent I was walking along the paved road for a while and then all of a sudden, I tripped over a rock or something and went flying. I fell face first down onto the pavement and gravel just as 2 guys on motorcycles went by.  They just looked at me like I was doing something strange which I guess I was! Anyhow, I have a lump on my head and a little bit of road rash on my knee. My ugly hat saved my head and face from the gravel. I was shaken up but very lucky. Then I still had another hour of horrible descent down rocky paths and I managed to get through that without any problems other than sore feet from the rocks, and the heat.  So, that's today's story. Oh and I am sharing a room with 3 young men. Its funny here. You never know who you will share with.  Last night in the Albergue, I talked with a young man from Australia for the longest time. he was still in bed when I left the Albergue this morning. I may not see him again either.

5 comments:

  1. Oh no. That fall couldn't have felt very good. Thankfully, no road rash on your face. Not that your head needed a bump or your knee needed anything else to help it on it's journey either. Glad it wasn't a worse fall. Odd that those guys wouldn't have stopped to help or something... but given the last leg of the journey... maybe a good thing that they didn't stop. And you became a sandwich stealer to top it all off? I hope his was better than yours, lol. Quite the day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I have a bit of a black eye and sore right arm and shoulder. My poor banana got road rash though. It was quite full of gravel! I'm so lucky and glad that I am not hurt

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete